Saturday 4 April 2015

Freddy Frog

This time I decided to use up a partial ball of Bernat Satin 100% acrylic worsted weight yarn in Fern to make a frog. I followed my Pink Piglet pattern hoping I would have enough yarn to finish. 

Since I was making a frog, I did not need ears or a tail, just two little googly frog eyes, so I was able to finish with slightly more yarn to spare than last time and much less worry as a result.

What do you think of little Freddy Frog? Isn't he cute with his googly eyes? I looked up images of frogs so I could make his eyes more 'frog like'.
 
 
My son thinks he looks silly with four eyes but, as I explained, he's not a 'real' frog. Freddy is a little boy wearing a frog costume. Don't all children like to dress up and pretend to be something else? That's my theme with my latest crochet critter patterns. I'm making little children dressed up as bunnies, bears, piglets and frogs. The options are almost endless.

Freddy Frog and Pink Piglet are perfect together. They like each other's costume and can't wait to play when they are done posing for photos.
Our poodle watches all the posing with interest but really wants photos to end so she can get out for a walk and enjoy this beautiful sunshiny day.
I've included the Pink Piglet pattern alterations below in case you might like to make a Freddy Frog too.

FREDDY FROG PATTERN

PDF Version


Materials used:

partial ball (4.2 oz) of Bernat Satin Fern (100% acrylic worsted weight yarn in green)
partial ball of 100% acrylic worsted weight yarn in white
Hook size = 3.5 mm
yarn needles to join pieces
Polyester Fiberfill for stuffing
Small amount of black yarn (for eyes)
Small amount of light pink yarn (for mouth)


Stitches used:

ch - chain stitch
ss - slip stitch
sc - single crochet
inc - sc increase (2 sc in same stitch)
sc2tog - single crochet 2 together aka dec - sc decrease
Magic Circle - see how here (start each piece with magic circle)

Time to Complete - 10 hours (approximately)
Finished size - 11 inches tall

Follow pattern for Pink Piglet found here with following alterations:

Arms (x2)

Added 3 rows for a total of 30 rows


Googly Eyes (x2)

With white (make a small round ball)
R1 - 6 sc in Magic Circle (6)
R2 - inc x6 (12)
R3-4 - sc around (12)
R5 - dec x 6 (6)
Stuff lightly and ss to close opening and finish off

With green (make hoods for eyes)
R1 - 6 sc (6)
R2 - inc x 6 (12)
R3-5 - sc around (12)
Finish off and cut yarn leaving enough to join

Insert small white ball in little green hoods to make 'hooded' eyes. Attach eyes to head as shown in photo above. Embroider pupil using black yarn as shown in photos above.



Be the first to comment - click on No comments: below

1 comment: